Saturday 11 June 2011

The Secret Life of a Half-Caste Fijian Teenager

Hola mes amigos!


What a week. So much work. Grrr... got 76% and 59% on my maths tests, which is not bad though I do think I could do better. What else happened? Oh yea, Leo ALMOST set the hostel on fire playing with matches, (take my word for it, another 10 seconds and the roof would have caught fire), I fell asleep in about 6 or 7 different classes probably because I slept after 1 for four of the five school nights. (mum and dad if you read this please just IGNORE that last line)
one more bushfire pic. 


I wasn't sure what to write about.
Ok, here's what I did: I set my phone to ring every half hour in my pocket, (is it still called ringing if it is still silent?) whatever, and then I wrote down what I was doing at the time. This way, you get a good idea of how an average Friday works for me. ;)


Here
We
Go


6:00am- hahaha think I'm awake yet? no!


6:30am (silence)


7:00am (.....)


7:30am - (conscience): "wake up Daniel! wake up! :O "


8:00am-Alarm fails to wake me-again! Time to rush to French after a quick brush teeth and pack bags. add to shopping list: new alarm clock


8:30am- argh... french. to think I could be sleeping now... sitting here, waiting to give our draft presentation to our teacher in the other room. I'm still sleepy! But I have this unfamiliar feeling of preparedness for french class today... (I've written my presentation!)


9:00am- Still randomly sitting here in class, waiting for my turn... Everyone else seems busy. What do they do?


9:30am- YES! Free period! :D It is far far too cold to walk all the way back to hostel so I am just chilling in the library with Tefo (Botswana) and Emily and Live (Norwegia) instead of literally chilling outside. Got told off twice for making too much noise. I hate librarians.


This is how Fijian blogs work: I write it out, then everyone instead of commenting people ask/comment to me on facebook! Weilei.


anyways- 
part of the way to the dining hall
/classrooms
10:00am- Break time. We get 40 minutes like a kinda recess... Cupcakes and hot chocolate today. (more like hot water with a touch of chocolate). It is so cold it is starting to get on my nerves. Especially this wind. argh!


10:32am- Still break time. Back at the hostel now, since I have another free after this. The hostel is about 5 minutes walk from the cafeteria/classrooms. Quite a long walk when you have to do it several times a day. Playing pool with Leo now. Shhh! I have to focus...


11:00am- Writing out the blog because I am tired of writing these little extract thingys  into my phone and cannot wait to delete them... Have to head off to class in about 10 minutes. Time to put on three more layers of clothing!



Yawn.


My room at beginning of term
my room now.
11:32am- Sitting here in my favorite subject. Maths higher level. Honestly it is, though I'm not very good at it!


12:00:apm- History, as my phone is vibrating inside my pocket I am up in front of the class making a presentation with Dimitri about the Iran-Iraq war... Dimitri is doing most of the talking while I am looking around...


12:30 pm- Still in history class, but now listening to a too-deep analysis of the Indo-Pakistani war, and taking down notes.


1:00pm- STILL in history, now another presentation of the Algerian war, this is more interesting, but I still think that double periods should be prohibited by law.


Taps: I saw you eat that pizza
Ousman: what?
Taps: what, I said it right P-I-T-Z-A
lol!


1:30pm- sitting at lunch, its the school specialty- chicken and rice! yay! :/ ok, its not that bad today, its just that there isn't enough!
rest of my room lol



2:00pm- no more classes today, so I am back at the common room. Noone else has free and is here, so I am going back to my room now to touch up this blog, which is pretty easy to write I must say! 


Getting back to Sekaia's question: I remember he asked what are the stealthy and cunning ways to sneak seconds from the cafeteria: 


there are two main ways: 

  1. the take a different plate and go on the other line method- there are many students, so there are two lines in the cafeteria. What you can do sometimes is go up and pretend to have just arrived for lunch again and join the other line. This is the best method. If you're asian, you can do this by going up the same line twice and usually they won't recognize you somehow.
  2. the wait for the end of lunch and ask for more method-  if you are patient enough to wait till the end of the meal, you can usually ask them for seconds and they'll give it to you if they think everyone has passed through. Sometimes it is rather difficult to convince them though!

if you get caught, you get a nice telling off and look very silly. and anyways we only attempt to get seconds on those occasions where the food is worth it anyways!


2"30pm- and I am surfing the net on facebook and waiting for Andy Roddick to start his match, which I might go and watch in the common room. Go Roddick! :)


3pm- more of the same...


3:30pm ok, rugby training in half an hour. Its so cold I do not feel like going... :/


4pm Rugby. Oh, by the way, there's another 10s tourney this week, and we're away to a couple of Swazi schools. I'm first fly half this week because Tefo decided to pull out...


4:30pm ok i didn't have my phone with me on the field but I know we were probably playing touch at this time.


5:00pm Coach Tinney is working on the forwards and the backs are just making some awesome moves through our touch


5:30pm End of session. I scored two tries and had an ok day. My drop kick is back! :)


6:00pm Mr Oulton is hosting a party for his english class since we finished an oral presentation last week. Yay


6:30pm Not turning out to be a typical Friday after all... Its not everyday a teacher hosts a party


7:00pm Watching a movie while eating pizza.... mmmm!


7:30pm Still watching....


8:00pm- 9:00pm Watched movie then talked then helped clear up then we got chased out. Time for Tango! :)


9:30pm No tango today... its instead a coffee bar... or another party up at the hostel. wow!


10::00pm Day is almost over, and I am getting sick of this stupid phone buzzing me every half hour! Argh. We're on the dance floor now hehe


10:30pm Ok I am getting a little tired, and we have to get up to catch the bus to the other school at 7am tomorrow... stuff that I'll deal with it in the morning...
Its a SIGN that we're in Africa!


11:00pm Party over... Have to check in now and get into our dormitories... I'm in Kasper's room having a deep conversation... and beating him 12(twelve) times in a row in sapui. (rock paper scissors). Calculation wise, just in case, thats a 530,000 odds chance!


11:30pm Walking around hostel, not time for bed yet!


12:00am writing this blog now. About to sleep soon


Ok, this was not such an average Friday, with two parties and all, but Friday is usually a laid off day, because I have quite a few frees, and then rugby training. But there you go, another week gone! Gee, that was fast eh!


Ok moce for now. This is the most effort I've put into a blog, hope you ppls are grateful! (almost spelt it greatful lol)


Live laugh enjoy! :)


DKN

3 comments:

  1. oh gosh , your bed , Mr.Disorganized :P [<{}>]

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was one long and interesting Blog =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm... who is anonymous?

    ReplyDelete