Saturday 2 July 2011

24 hours of madness

Sawumbona!
^^Siswati is not an easy language is it? ^^


What is 24 hours of madness? The 24 hour run of course!
The 24 hour run is a two yearly (or should I say biennial nice words eh?) event for raising money for the community service projects. We are to run as many 400 metre laps as possible in 24 hours, in teams. Our team was called burning calories. (hey, I did NOT make up this name, so stop laughing!) But the name was voted democratically... Hmmm, you gang in Fiji should look this term up in the dictionary... 
Burning Calories! After the run.


monster on the track
Anyways, burning calories owned the track, and though the results are not out yet, I'm quite sure we took it! We had runners for the full 24 hours! Myself, I managed 115 laps or so, a bit short of my target of 150. But hats off to Mohammed Tune of Ethiopia(pictured right) for running an absolutely ridiculous 333 laps! (But then again, he is from Eastern Africa...) no I'm joking. Wherever you're from, you should not be able to do that.




Stephen and Dimitri- team tactics?
The run started at 5pm on Friday afternoon, after a hard school day and me having 5 hours sleep the previous night. Now wasn't that smart?. (Er... Jorja, that was a rhetorical question, and Bizu, that was sarcasm.) I ran a quick 16 laps in about 50 minutes before heading off to dinner. After dinner, a quick 16 laps again (which is 6km- no joke!) and then a first aid stint with Kyle. Manning the first aid tent was COLD! Wow. Two hours later (and like 8 victims clients patients) I couldn't walk, my calves(again I say muscles, not animals) were frozen! I went and lay down for a couple of hours before adding over 45 laps between 11pm and 2am. (some walking). By 2am, when the temperature was -6 or -7 degrees, (which I didn't find out till the next day) was not very funny anymore.. I went to the (indoor) student-run tuckshop and stayed there! Wow. That's my first experience with negative, and you gang in Fiji just stop complaining about your cold 18 degrees weather!


By the 50th lap you're running round and round and you start being philosophical- as in- 'What the hell am I doing?' or 'What's the point of this?'


Burning calories 'snake'
I made my friends laugh by showing them some (Fijian) people on facebook complaining about the 18 degrees cold! Did you know Fijian refers to everyone living in Fiji now? Did you? Did you? Thought not. See? This blog is EDUCATIONAL as well! (I better not say that. Would just turn everybody away)


Anyways, me, Leo, Emily (not Emily Lo, she was in Fiji at the time), Tofa, and Anna were stuck in the CCLD room until 4am, because it was too cold and windy outside! I got to bed around 5am.
Oh yeah! This was my 99th lap I think.
Another shift of First Aid at 7am had me wake up at 7:30 (still on Fiji Time) but it was cancelled, since the First Aid Tent (or the FAT) got blown down in the night. I ran 25 consecutive laps till I reached 100. After that, about half an hours rest, they decided to hold a competition: whoever can run 2 laps in 3 minutes gets a free hot dog! I'm sure you all understand, 'free' + 'hot dog' + 'Fijian' so of course I ran it. I ran 2 minutes 58 seconds hahahah! Yes! My ego just went up by 10 points.


Mrs Owar (ESS teacher): "Organisms are always dying. Like when you see a mosquito near you, what do you do? Yes, you eliminate it."


Sanyu and Lolah-
Team Fast and Furious.
It was shortly after this I realised I had injured my left knee. I could not run anymore. Argh. For the next 6 hours, I walked about 9 laps. Total 115 laps, or 46km. That's from Suva to Pacific Harbour. Not bad. More than most people but not nearly the highest of the day. From our team, Stephen and I ended up hurt, and Dimitri sick (he decided to run from 12am to 7am in the freezing temperatures, which wasn't very smart. (hey, no sarcasm this time!)). The three of us Probably cost our team another 100 laps.


The run ended at 5pm on Saturday. An awesome event! Oh oh oh and if you're not too mamaqi please agree to sponsor me! 20 cents a lap is all I'm asking for. Its for a good cause! (seriously). Just let me know here or on facebook.


Shame Sekaia, I couldn't find any glow-in-the-dark coloured font. Have to return to purple. What colour next week? Someone suggest it.


Andy Roddick's victory over...
does this not look like
Emily Lo?
As for my tennis predictions, well, I know they failed, but Djokovic is still taking drugs! 


I been here just a few weeks, and I snapped two tennis racquets already! Ace and Smiley. -Yes, yes, my racquets have names. Don't laugh. Only Stitchy is left. (guess who named it Stitchy?) I really have to find a place to string them. But I was striking the ball nicely. Gonna teach Shekhar and Chris a tennis lesson when I get back! (just don't mention that to them eh Itu?). It'll be a surprise!

Ok. Thats all for this week I guess? There was more, but if I write longer posts noone will read it. Based on last weeks tennis predictions, I will NOT predict the Super 15 results, but hopefully Blues make the final for the first time since 03. 


FML- Feel Magnificent and Live! :)


Over and out
DKN
(aka Agent D)

No comments:

Post a Comment